The Fitness Focus

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: When the gym isnt an option...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm 
Owner

Many of us travel. For some its a part of the job and takes us on the road for days or weeks at a time and while many companies today have fitness facilities in-house not too many of them make temporary memberships a part of their corporate travel plans. So what do you do?

Fitness, like any other endeavor we may find ourselves passionate about, can often involve us to be a bit more creative than we'd imagine at first glance. Here are a few tips to help anyone without access to a gym get a quality workout in the comfort of a hotel room or even their own home!

1. Open your eyes

Tools for a great workout are all around us. I discovered this while stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey just prior to its being shut down. The gym was closed, as were most of the non-essential facilities so PT became a bit challenging.

Here's what I discovered:
The chair in your room is the best friend you have! That chair is essentially the core of your in-room workout. Chairs work wonderfully for curls, upright rows and front raises. They can also be used for standing, behind the head, tricep presses. That same chair can be used for chair dips, and incline and decline pushups. As I mention later they can even be used for legs. Love that chair!

Loop a towel around the door knob on the inside of the door (for example the bathroom) then step outside and use that as leverage to pull against which will work arms and back nicely.

2. Let simple movements guide you

So you dont have a squat rack? So what? Using that afore mentioned chair, do sit-squats on it in sets of 100, then turn around and, laying the chair down on its back, grasp the legs touching the floor and raise the chair up performing a stiff legged deadlift, then go back to sit-squats for another 100 reps. Believe me, you wont miss the squat rack one bit.

For abs, try laying down on the bed and then immediately sitting upright again. After doing this 50 or 60 times those abs are crying for a break. OR, you can assume pushup position with your hands on either of the chair seat and hold it. Its a modified plank and the change in angle can be very interesting!

3. Go back to basics

Jumping jacks, squat thrusts and running in place are things we've all done during highschool P.E. but they worked then and they'll work now. I routinely have clients do each of these as part of their warmup and to help keep their heartrates elevated throughout their workouts.

4. Embrace the change

True there's no way a 12 pound chair will compare to a 40 pound dumbell but that doesnt mean we can't make it as effective if we're patient and understand that we need to do things a little differently. Tell yourself its ok to go for reps, to use slower cadence and to experiment with limited ROM. The goal is to achieve a sweat inducing muscle fatiguing workout - and whatever it takes to accomplish that is acceptable, even welcome!

Between pushups, chair curls, chair front raises, sit-squats, chair stiff legged deadlifts, jumping jacks and squat thrusts there should never be a time when you feel you simply can't get a good workout in.

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

Post subject: Re: When the gym isnt an option...
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:19 pm 

Good read Mikey!! I will have to take this in to mind when I get home late for work and I need to get in a workout. My apartment gym closes at midnight and when I get home it is usually after 11 and I stay in the gym for at least 45mins to an hour.

Thanks again...