The Fitness Focus

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 59  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Knights New Focus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:59 am 
VIP

Judge wrote:
Minnesota_BB wrote:
Can't be to impatient, need to let your body tell you how heavy and how much. Listen to it.. :pumpin: Have a great Weekend :wave:

What she said

I'm very grateful for your encouragement and advise but I promise you I think I have been very patient. I just don't want them to cut me....My arm will be in a cast for 6 weeks and a sling for another 6 weeks before I can pick up a pencil. That means no weights or guitar for at least 3 months. I know there are far worse scenarios but I can't even imagine........

I just keep thinking if I were Bret Farve or Tom Brady they would get me hooked up with a new shoulder, a new wrist and maybe even throw in a knee or two and I'd be throwin footballs 60 yards in about a month. Am I crazy?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 pm 
VIP

06/13/09

Very light chest and triceps. If something caused pain I just quit it and moved on to something else. Kept the weight very light and didn’t push hard on anything. Rode my bike to and from the gym and took the long way to get some cardio in.

Flat Bench
95x15 135x10 135x10

Smith Incline
95x10 full reps 95x15 PROM (top 2/3 of each rep)

Incline Dumbbells
40x10

Cable/Cuff Crossovers Single Arms
40x13 40x13

Nautilus Press
50x20 50x20

Triceps

Skull Crushers
40x20 40x13

Push Downs
100x15 100x12

I almost got mad and left about half way thru this (Mike would have :) ) but I just kept thinking about Joy saying to take it easy and be patient. Truth be told I probably shouldn’t have done any of this because I felt discomfort on every rep of every exercise. I put myself back on my anti inflammatory meds as soon as I got home. I don’t like taking them because the doctor told me they are very hard on the kidneys and liver but when I have used them consistently in the past they have work miracles in putting this fire in my left shoulder out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:17 pm 
VIP

06/15/09

Feeling much better now that I have a few doses of Diclofenac behind me. The stuff does work for me but I was hoping to be able to figure out how to get thru this without relying on medication. I’ll run with it for a month or so, continue to take it easy on the weights and reevaluate my plan at that time.

Slow positives, hold, even slower negatives using perfect form with absolutely no momentum. 1 minute rest between 2 arm movements and no rest between single arm movements. Rode bicycle to and from gym for a bit of cardio.

Back
Nautilus Pull Downs
100x25 115x22 145x10

Nautilus Rows
90x21 120x12 140x8

Dumbbell Rows
40x13 40x11 35x11

Lower Back Extensions
95x25 110x15 125x9

Biceps

High Pulley Cable/Cuff
40x18 50x11 50x10

Low Pulley Cable/Cuff
30x13 40x8

Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls
20x8 20x7

Wrist Curls Palms Down
12.5x20 12.5x13

Wrist Curls Palms Up
15x30 20x13

Like I said I felt pretty good and could have done more of everything (weight, reps, and sets) tonight but I kept it light and made my form create the resistance. It was nice to do something and not be in pain. I don’t feel like I “LIFTED” but I know I did something positive. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and if it is hopefully I can control myself and not get jacked up again. And hopefully I don’t have to take these pills forever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Knight by the loos of things you are still getting plenty accomplished in the gym. This is great man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:47 pm 
VIP

Judge wrote:
Knight by the loos of things you are still getting plenty accomplished in the gym. This is great man

Thanks Judge! I need all the encouragement I can get because I get so discouraged not being able to do what I think I should be doing. Anything I do now is more like rehabilitation or physical therapy than it is training. Taking a couple days off now to deal with family and band stuff and then back to the gym. The big thing for me right now is to stay active without impeding the healing of these nagging injuries. If I can just get the inflammation out of these joints I'll be able to put together some form of a decent program. I'll get thru it with the help of you good peeps! :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:59 am 
Global Moderator

knight55387 wrote:
Judge wrote:

Thanks Judge! I need all the encouragement I can get because I get so discouraged not being able to do what I think I should be doing. Anything I do now is more like rehabilitation or physical therapy than it is training. Taking a couple days off now to deal with family and band stuff and then back to the gym. The big thing for me right now is to stay active without impeding the healing of these nagging injuries. If I can just get the inflammation out of these joints I'll be able to put together some form of a decent program. I'll get thru it with the help of you good peeps! :cheers:

Shit man if more people stayed focused like you they would be half as helathy as you are. Trust me man you are the inspiration here man. Ihave been there and done that and over again. Every once in awhile it is good to see someone shed some light for you and show you how to keep going. That is you my friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 pm 
VIP

I just want to look like The Judge!

06/18/09

Easy Does It! Rode bike to and from gym.

Shoulders and Abs Super Sets

Standing Straight Bar Press
65x15 75x12 85x9

Hanging Knee Raises
23, 16, 16, 15

Side Delt Cable/Cuff Single Arms
20x15 30x10 30x8

Incline Crunch
10, 10, 10, 10

Rear Delt on Reverse Pec Deck
55x15 60x10 60x10

Nautilus Crunch
65x18 80x12 100x8

Freedom Trainer Shrugs
150x17 150x15 150x12

Went very well! I felt good enough to have done more in the way of everything (weight, reps, sets and intensity) but I resisted temptation and took it easy. I had no discomfort in my shoulder and only a little in my wrist after the light shrugs. I’m going to continue moving forward at a snail’s pace and concentrate on raising intensity very gradually and slowly even if I feel good enough to do more. If I feel good enough to do more I’m going to make the rep harder with my mind instead of using volume or weight.
I’m on the mend and I AIN”T GOING TO SCREW IT UP!!!!!

*metal*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:46 pm 
Owner

I've been following your progress and efforts closely but waited to chime in.

You've got the mentality thats going to take you all the way FINALLY!! Its not about how fast you get there or even really getting there Al, its about the journey. Taking each step properly, not letting yourself succumb to pitfalls like pride or impatience.

This thing we do is a personal journey. Its different for all of us. You have FINALLY hit your stride and it warms my heart to see it! I know you've struggled and I know you've wrestled with disappointment and frustration but you've overcome.... and THAT is the REAL gift this endeavor of ours brings.

Keep it up man. You're an example to all of us of how, if we let ourselves, we can find our way inspite of the hurdles life throws at us. Very proud of you my friend!!

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:39 pm 
VIP

BigMikey wrote:
I've been following your progress and efforts closely but waited to chime in.

You've got the mentality thats going to take you all the way FINALLY!! Its not about how fast you get there or even really getting there Al, its about the journey. Taking each step properly, not letting yourself succumb to pitfalls like pride or impatience.

This thing we do is a personal journey. Its different for all of us. You have FINALLY hit your stride and it warms my heart to see it! I know you've struggled and I know you've wrestled with disappointment and frustration but you've overcome.... and THAT is the REAL gift this endeavor of ours brings.

Keep it up man. You're an example to all of us of how, if we let ourselves, we can find our way inspite of the hurdles life throws at us. Very proud of you my friend!!

Thanks Mike. Your words mean allot to me. If I would have met you and the other people on this board many years ago maybe I wouldn't be the physical wreck I have become, but we will never know that for sure. Like I said on the phone terminology like "total muscular failure" and "break it to make it grow" took on a different meaning in my Finish mind. It's safe to say I lack nothing in will, determination or pain tolerance but maybe I was a bit behind the curve in common sense in the weight room! :bounce: But as we have discussed 100 times (you talked and I ignored) in the last 6 months these "hurdles" are teaching me more about the game than I ever learned in any book, magazine or video. My moto used to be "Pain is weakness leaving the body" and with my "more is better" mentality I became my body's own worst enemy. The very thing I was trying to nurture became that which I all but destroyed. That and the fact that I am no respector of age.....

Let's just hope there is enough left in the tank to get healthier and slowly move back into a little bit more weight! We all have pride or we would have never gotten into this insane life style in the first place.

I'm off to do a llght leg workout! *metal*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:28 pm 

That post hit home for me in more than a little way Knight.

My hayday as it were was back in the late 80's to early 90's. As a whole amatures knew far less about healthy lifting than they do today. The training style d'jour was volume, volume, volume with a steaming side of volume. We never stopped to think about silly, insignificant things like joints or connective tissue. Tendons? BAH! Slap on another quarter I'm going for more.

When I met Mike I had already struggled with chronic tendonitis in both elbows, and knees that would give any bowl of rice krispies a run for the money. Oddly enough it was through helping Mike get started that I learned how to lift in a more healthy way. I was bound a determined not to let him make the mistakes I made. I just didnt want that on my head.

He would always scoff at guys in our gym that would shout the "no pain no gain" phrases. His take was always if it didnt feel right then it was wrong. It took me about a year before I came to appreciate that philosophy and use it to this day. If my elbows ache, I've trained too hard, too long or too heavy. If my tendons flare up I know I've blown my form. Its changed my training style 180 degrees but i'm better for it.

There is no shame in being the old warrior whose armor hangs on the wall next to his sword. It doesnt mean we cant battle. It just means we know we dont HAVE to battle. We have nothing to prove anymore. Thats for the young, tank-top wearing guys with ILS. And there is a peace in that.

Respect,
BDP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 59  Next