The Fitness Focus

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Knights New Focus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:39 pm 
VIP

06/19/09

Light legs today. I did a couple moderately heavy leg presses last week and although they felt good at the time my left knee has been creaking rather loudly every time I manipulate stairs ever since. It doesn’t hurt; it’s just very audible and doesn’t sound good. So I’m backing down the load and going for perfect slow form with a bit more volume. Nothing radical, just a mild increase for sport! Stopping short of failure on every set with the absolute minimum rest (if any) between sets.

Single Leg Extensions
55x20 55x16 55x14 50x12

Nautilus Single Leg Press & Nautilus Calve Raise Super Set
Nautilus Single Leg Press Sitting Upright
189x20 190x18 200x12 210x10
Nautilus Calve Raise
180x35 200x30 210x22 260x20 280x16 300x15

Nautilus Leg Press Both Legs more prone (laying down)
200x20 280x15 300x12

Leg Curls Both Legs - It’s weird but my hammies are good for about 1 set and after I torch them once they lose allot of power and endurance?
80x23 85x12 90x10 80x9

Flirted with the squat rack for a minute but decided that can wait for another day. I’m resisting my endless temptation for more, more, more and staying the course. I think I’ll get back under a mild load soon, but I need to maintain my new philosophy and go slow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:15 pm 
VIP

Bigdaddypain wrote:
That post hit home for me in more than a little way Knight.

My hayday as it were was back in the late 80's to early 90's. As a whole amatures knew far less about healthy lifting than they do today. The training style d'jour was volume, volume, volume with a steaming side of volume. We never stopped to think about silly, insignificant things like joints or connective tissue. Tendons? BAH! Slap on another quarter I'm going for more.

When I met Mike I had already struggled with chronic tendonitis in both elbows, and knees that would give any bowl of rice krispies a run for the money. Oddly enough it was through helping Mike get started that I learned how to lift in a more healthy way. I was bound a determined not to let him make the mistakes I made. I just didnt want that on my head.

He would always scoff at guys in our gym that would shout the "no pain no gain" phrases. His take was always if it didnt feel right then it was wrong. It took me about a year before I came to appreciate that philosophy and use it to this day. If my elbows ache, I've trained too hard, too long or too heavy. If my tendons flare up I know I've blown my form. Its changed my training style 180 degrees but i'm better for it.

There is no shame in being the old warrior whose armor hangs on the wall next to his sword. It doesnt mean we cant battle. It just means we know we dont HAVE to battle. We have nothing to prove anymore. Thats for the young, tank-top wearing guys with ILS. And there is a peace in that.

Respect,
BDP

I hear you loud and clear BDP! I got my start in a prison yard (long story for another post) and learned from paranoid convicts, Muscle and Fitness and making mistakes. I ate like a pig, did 20 sets per body part twice a week and rarely took a day off. I was already 32 years old at the time and needless to say results were little to none. I learned how to break down muscle tissue but had no concept of healing or recovery. It didn’t take long for my joints, connective tissues and then bones to break down. They were trying to tell me but I thought “No pain No Gain” because that’s what the book said.

Not seeing the physical improvement I was killing myself for I moved on to more of a power lifting routine but I had already done so much damage to myself (connective tissues, joints and bones) I could not do it effectively for any extended period of time. I did make some nice natural gains but my body was just too stressed out and pieces began breaking.

I won’t bore you with my rap sheet of troubles and injuries but let’s just say I’ll be 50 in January and I have some problems now that will follow me to the grave. Learning how to continue on without making anything worse let alone making gains has been a real challenge and I have contemplated throwing in the towel several times. But that would be quitting and with quitting comes another whole list of problems I’m not ready to succumb too.

Unfortunately I started too late and did so many things incorrectly that I wasn’t able to become the warrior I fantasized about but there aren’t many men my age out there that make me jealous. Many can lift more but I can walk around with my shirt off with no shame.

I’m still trying to learn that fine line between stimulation and destruction. I’m currently dinged up to the point where even that isn’t an issue.

If it doesn’t feel right - it isn’t right…never a truer word has been spoken in the gym.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:42 pm 

Do not kid yourself Knight. You are every bit the warrior. For guys like us, its fighting the challenges that makes it all worth it. How many men would have quit already if faced with the things we have? Not us. Its the fact that its extra hard and that I have to be extra crafty that make me keep it up. Sometimes the greatest victory lies in simply showig up to the fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 pm 
Owner

Bigdaddypain wrote:
Do not kid yourself Knight. You are every bit the warrior. For guys like us, its fighting the challenges that makes it all worth it. How many men would have quit already if faced with the things we have? Not us. Its the fact that its extra hard and that I have to be extra crafty that make me keep it up. Sometimes the greatest victory lies in simply showig up to the fight.

What cracks me up is how philosophical you get when you talk about this stuff, lol. I guess I know where I get it from, eh?

If only you could be more like this and less like "BDP angry! BDP SMASH" with other things in your life :boom: :yay:

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:15 pm 
VIP

Well I don't care where either one of you got it - just please keep bringing it. Without Mike (and Amy) I would have been done 6 months ago but instead of crying on the couch I dropped about 20 lbs of body fat and gained at least 6 lbs of lean mass. Doesn't compare to a 25 year old buck on his first cycle but it ain't bad for 5 time time grandfather with 1 flippin good arm. Point is: I need guys like BDP and BM!

06/20/09

Spent the night scouting rock bands and the early morning rehearsing with one of mine. I’m tired but the show must go on. Going to do some light chest and try some partial range of motion movements to see if I can use a little more weight without stirring the pot with my bum shoulder.

Smith Machine PROM top ½ only
135x25 185x 18 205x12 225x10 Wow! Staying out of my injury zone made a quality difference!

Smith Bench Full Range of Motion
135x15 155x10 Feeling it in the shoulder a tad so I quit

Incline Bench
100x15 115x8 doesn’t feel too good so moving on

Cable Cross Over PROM first ½ of the movement
High pulley 40x12 40x12 Low Pulley 30x10 - this isn't working

Pec Deck
50x18

The PROM on the Smith felt pretty good but everything after that was border line. I didn’t make anything worse but I could tell if I kept going I would have. Moving on to triceps.

EZ Bar Skull Crushers
75x10 75x10 - shoulder is ok but wrist is saying wtf?

Over Head Extensions with Cables
80x20 100x15 120x10

Cable Kick Backs
30x12 30x12

If I feel any discomfort in my wrist or shoulder I move on to something different and drop weight. I then slowly work up in increments until something doesn’t feel just right, stop and move on to something else. It’s not ideal but it seems as though I’m getting in some work, making a little bit of progress and I’m not dramatically flaring up that inflammation that shuts me down. No sign of tendonitis in either arm since my 6 week s off.

Workout Grade = Improvement shown :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
VIP

06/22/09

Legs are still sore and I felt tired tonight so I tried to be intelligent and listen to my body instead of my brain for a change. It was supposed to be light back and biceps but I picked up a guitar and learned some Kenny Wayne Sheppard and old Allman Brothers tunes instead. I may be joining a blues rock band to fill up some of these weekends Electric Eye is off.

Went for a nice run with my 14 year old daughter and our Golden Retriever when the sun went away. It was nice and I felt very good......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:36 pm 
Owner

Knight, I was thinking about those skull crushers. Have you tried doing them with a straight bar instead of the ez-curl? Maybe that would be easier on the wrist?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47 pm 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
6/22/09

Legs are still sore and I felt tired tonight so I tried to be intelligent and listen to my body instead of my brain for a change. It was supposed to be light back and biceps but I picked up a guitar and learned some Kenny Wayne Sheppard and old Allman Brothers tunes instead. I may be joining a blues rock band to fill up some of these weekends Electric Eye is off.

Went for a nice run with my 14 year old daughter and our Golden Retriever when the sun went away. It was nice and I felt very good......

Its kinda funny. I've been thinking about doing the same thing with Max. Its all about the challenge and feeling good at the end of it. New things, different things. You and I have lifted for how long? If we combined our experience its probably a lifetime. Running, stretching, finding new ways to challenge ourselves... those are the new adrenaline rushes... at least in my opinion. Hard is hard man and putting in 2 miles would be such a huge accomplishment for me that its very attractive. Besides, with Lexi in track, I gotta represent for us old guys, lol!

As far as blues goes, MAN I can see you doing that! Bustin out something Johny Lang-ish... too fun man!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:14 am 
Global Moderator

knight55387 wrote:
6/22/09

You need to have and mantain some overall balance my friend and it looks like you are doing this. Great job!

The key to a perfect physique is training and training and repeating and repeating. Stop looking for a perfect move, a perfect rep range. You won’t see difference unless you are consistent anyway so stop obsessing, it paralyzes your actions......
~Just Saying~

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am 
VIP

Minnesota_BB wrote:
knight55387 wrote:
6/22/09

You need to have and mantain some overall balance my friend and it looks like you are doing this. Great job!

Balance is something my Finish mind has never completely understood. I mean the problem is there are only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in each week. I am NOT the problem! It has more to do with the rotation of the earth! jk Balance is a bitch, but I'm working on it. Now I have my 14 year old daughter letting me have it to keep me on my square. When the kids can see it and I can't you know I'm one sick dude. But I love it.

I'm going to give the straight bar a try on those skull crushers Mike. To be honest I hadn't thought of that and maybe that slight twist of the wrist will remove some of the strain. Might make it worse too, but we won't know until we try.

I recommend going for a run with your daughter with the dog in tow. We only lasted about 15 minutes because Chantel said her knees hurt. She's always running and playing volley ball so I'm going to have to teach her about listening to those joints. When she said her knees hurt we just shut it down but I felt very good and could have went allot longer. Today is a new day!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next