The Fitness Focus

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Knights New Focus
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:56 am 
VIP

08/28/2010

Started off with a nice bike ride to warm up and the settled in for a little back and biceps stimulation. I decided to mix things up a bit with some movements I rarely use and used super sets in pre exhaust mode to prevent further wrist damage. For example, nothing stimulated my entire back like doing dead lifts back before I injured my wrist. So for this routine I decided to pre-exhaust with a moderate set of Smith Rows and then went directly to the rack for some racked dead lifts. The rows allowed me to drop weight on the dead lifts and keeping the bar about 10 inches off the floor took the hammies out of it a bit and made it a little easier to safely control.

I also combined Dumbbell Pull Over’s with Straight Arm Push Downs. There is either something wrong with my form or my back greatly over powers my triceps because my triceps were screaming at the end of both of these movements. In fact I could hardly complete another rep after the Pull Over’s. After briefly touching up the biceps I logged one of the most intense 21 minutes of sprints ever and jumped back on my bike for a one mile cool down (the trip home :lol: ).

Pull Ups
11, 8

Chin Ups
7, 6

SS
Smith Rows
155x12 155x12 175x10
Rack Dead Lift
185x6 185x6 185x6

SS
Dumbbell Pull Over
55x10 55x8 55x8
Straight Arm Push Downs
100x8 100x6 80x7

Close Grip Cable Row
200x12 220x10 250x7

SS
Straight Bar Curl
65x10 70x7 75x6
Gripper
28, 28, 28

High Cable Curl – Both Arms
40x9 40x8

Single Arms
40x8

21 minutes sprints – Max bpm = 151 Calories Burned = 250

Biked

Weight 195.5 lbs – up 1 pound since last weigh in 0n 08/10/2010 which I think means I’ve leveled out on this last little weight drop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 am 

knight55387 wrote:
8/28/2010

Started off with a nice bike ride to warm up and the settled in for a little back and biceps stimulation. I decided to mix things up a bit with some movements I rarely use and used super sets in pre exhaust mode to prevent further wrist damage. For example, nothing stimulated my entire back like doing dead lifts back before I injured my wrist. So for this routine I decided to pre-exhaust with a moderate set of Smith Rows and then went directly to the rack for some racked dead lifts. The rows allowed me to drop weight on the dead lifts and keeping the bar about 10 inches off the floor took the hammies out of it a bit and made it a little easier to safely control.

I also combined Dumbbell Pull Over’s with Straight Arm Push Downs. There is either something wrong with my form or my back greatly over powers my triceps because my triceps were screaming at the end of both of these movements. In fact I could hardly complete another rep after the Pull Over’s. After briefly touching up the biceps I logged one of the most intense 21 minutes of sprints ever and jumped back on my bike for a one mile cool down (the trip home :lol: ).

Hello Knight. You are correct when you assume the problem is one of the back muscles being far stronger and harder to exhaust than your triceps. The back is a tough collection of stubborn muscles that are used to being abused. What I would suggest is to use the exercises you mentioned as finishing moves after you complete a challenging back workout comprised of bigger movements. With the back already thoroughly fatigued moving on to pullovers and standing pulldowns (what you called straight arm pushdowns), you should have an easier time isolating the back and taking a fair bit of the triceps out of the movements. Also, be sure to keep your elbows bent and pointed outward. This is especially important for the standing pulldowns.

I will also lay this on the table as well: don't do the two exercises you mentioned together, back to back, in a lifting session. The overall mechanics are too similar. If you can imagine standing up and doing a pullover you can see that its essentially the same movement as your standing pulldown. You could use one as a warm up and the other as a finisher, but I would avoid doing them back to back.

Respect,
BDP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 pm 
Owner

BDP brings up some good points, but then again he would cause I taught him everything he knows :D Kidding!

Standing lat pulldowns are always tricky. I still have trouble with them today. I've found that lmiting the range of motion to the bottom third really helps because you never get to relax your back. I also used to do these immediately following conventional lat pulldowns. IT was a little redundant but it got my lats KICKIN!

Have you ever tried standing in a cable cross and doing an iron cross? Its an old gymnastics move. Basically you grab one handle in either hand, and while standing straight up and down, pull each handle down toward your sides. If you do them right you may never want to mess with standing lat pull downs anymore.

As far as pullovers... I've spent so much friggin time trying to perfect those vile things I despise them now, lol. I know how to do 'em I just cant seem to put it into practice regularly. Its like I do it perfectly today and next time I do them I've become retarded or something and cant do 'em right to save my life. Pisses me off.

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 am 
VIP

Thanks for the help guys! I can't wait to try out these suggestions. I know for a fact my elbows were pointing down, not out, so that could be a good part of it. I will say my back and biceps are very sore yet this morning so I did something right. But my triceps are sore too and that's not what we were after! :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:16 am 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
Thanks for the help guys! I can't wait to try out these suggestions. I know for a fact my elbows were pointing down, not out, so that could be a good part of it. I will say my back and biceps are very sore yet this morning so I did something right. But my triceps are sore too and that's not what we were after! :funny:

eh, a little extra tricep work, even if its accidental, never hurt anybody, lol :flex:

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:43 am 
Global Moderator

Bigdaddypain wrote:
I will also lay on the table as well:

HUH???? :drop:

:dunno:

The key to a perfect physique is training and training and repeating and repeating. Stop looking for a perfect move, a perfect rep range. You won’t see difference unless you are consistent anyway so stop obsessing, it paralyzes your actions......
~Just Saying~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:30 pm 
VIP

09/01/2010

I was sore for 3 days after that back routine, in fact my biceps are still sore. I’m having a hard time adjusting to the 4 AM wakeup call that came with my switch of employers and today was no exception. I was nodding off by noon and the thought of trying to do legs and shoulders made me shiver with fear. None the less I pushed on and once I got into the routine all was well. I kept weight low, used all the giant/super sets I could and concentrated on how the muscle felt with every rep without worrying so much about the rep count. There are quite a few painful reps in here and to wrap it up I completed an aggressive 30 minute bike ride through some brutal hills. I found some hills tonight that I almost couldn’t complete which made the bike ride very intense.

Warm up bike ride to the gym

SS
Hip Ad
115x14 125x12 130x10
Hip Ab
135x15 145x11 150x11

SS
Squats
135x20 135x20 135x20
Leg Press
200x7 200x9 200x6

Dumbbell Dead Lift/Dumbbell Press
35x13 35x11 40x9
Leg Curl
100x11 100x12 110x10
Calve Raise Leg Press
250x25 300x23 400x12

SS
Walking Lunges
20x12 20x12 25x10
Leg Extension
100x8 100x10 100x9
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
20x10 too much elbow pain – switched to Nautilus Lateral Raise 80x12 80x12
Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
20x12 20x12 20x12

30 minute killer bike ride – legs were screaming

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 pm 
Global Moderator

knight55387 wrote:
9/01/2010

I was sore for 3 days after that back routine, in fact my biceps are still sore. I’m having a hard time adjusting to the 4 AM wakeup call that came with my switch of employers and today was no exception. I was nodding off by noon and the thought of trying to do legs and shoulders made me shiver with fear. None the less I pushed on and once I got into the routine all was well. I kept weight low, used all the giant/super sets I could and concentrated on how the muscle felt with every rep without worrying so much about the rep count. There are quite a few painful reps in here and to wrap it up I completed an aggressive 30 minute bike ride through some brutal hills. I found some hills tonight that I almost couldn’t complete which made the bike ride very intense.

Warm up bike ride to the gym

SS
Hip Ad
115x14 125x12 130x10
Hip Ab
135x15 145x11 150x11

SS
Squats
135x20 135x20 135x20
Leg Press
200x7 200x9 200x6

Dumbbell Dead Lift/Dumbbell Press
35x13 35x11 40x9
Leg Curl
100x11 100x12 110x10
Calve Raise Leg Press
250x25 300x23 400x12

SS
Walking Lunges
20x12 20x12 25x10
Leg Extension
100x8 100x10 100x9
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
20x10 too much elbow pain – switched to Nautilus Lateral Raise 80x12 80x12
Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
20x12 20x12 20x12

30 minute killer bike ride – legs were screaming

Way to stick with it when you have no gumption....
Knowing you will feel better at the end is what keeps us freaks going day after day...
:rockon:

The key to a perfect physique is training and training and repeating and repeating. Stop looking for a perfect move, a perfect rep range. You won’t see difference unless you are consistent anyway so stop obsessing, it paralyzes your actions......
~Just Saying~

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:12 am 
VIP

Joy, you are soooooo corrcct! :amen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 am 
Global Moderator

How's it going Al?

It's almost been a week..... :arms:

~Just Saying~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next