The Fitness Focus

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Knights New Focus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 pm 
VIP

Minnesota_BB wrote:
How's it going Al?

It's almost been a week..... :arms:

Not so good, but thanks for asking. I do have another workout I just haven't bothered (or had time) too log. But to be honest I've decided to step back for at least a week, maybe 2, to see if I can get this tendonitis to settle down. It's gotten really bad, almost crippling. I can hardly play guitar anymore and it hurts just to breath. I could work through it by warming up real good first but it just sets me back further and further. My back and legs have been very stiff and cranky lately too. I just feel old, tight and to be honest TIRED. It's sad because I'm actually in very good, if not great shape, and I hate to let it slide even an inch, but I think I have too.

It's a whole new game on the other side of 50 peeps! I don't think I've been over training because the frequency hasn't been that overly demanding, but when I have trained I've been hitting it quite hard and the old body is asking for a little time.

Maybe 1 on 3 off more consistently may be where I'm at these days. And maybe I should do more moderate conditioning every other time and cut back on the very high impact sprints I've grown to love.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm 
VIP

This was the last workout I had before I took a 2 week break to try to heal up this left elbow/forearm. I no longer think it is as simple as tendonitis, I believe there is a small connective tissue tear in there that isn’t going to heal without surgery. It doesn’t feel any better today than it did 12 days ago and it’s a problem that has been with me for years.

09/04/2010

Bike

SS
Smith Flat Bench FRM
135x25 165x15 185x12 205x8
Hanging Knee Raise
25, 21, 20 Single Leg 20

SS
Incline Straight Bar
115x12 135x9 135x7
Incline Crunch
25, 15, F

SS
Incline Cable Fly’s
50x9 50x10 50x10
Nautilus Crunch
80x12 80x13 80x6

SS
Skull Crusher
75x12 75x10 75x8
Ball Crunch
15, 11, 15

One Arm Cable Kick Backs
50x7 40x8

That was 12 days ago. My original plan was to take 2 full weeks to get all healed up and then begin a new run at it after the Denver show tomorrow night. But I was getting pretty antsy and at bit cranky with the thought of walking out on that stage tomorrow night under the lights with no shirt on after a 2 week lay-off. So I decided to bike over to the gym and get a light full body workout in. I avoided back and biceps as I plan on hitting those Sunday afternoon, but I did briefly touch up everything else. I did nothing even close to failure but just enough to send a message to my body that a long slumber is not in its immediate future. More than anything it got some blood flowing and should be a nice little kick start for the mile high show tomorrow night and the new beginning hopefully on Sunday. I did want to do too much and wear myself down because the next 48 hours are going to require optimum resources to properly pull it all off. As I said the elbow is as bad as ever so it will have to worked around on a day to day basis until I can get in for an MRI and then deal with whatever that shows us.

Bike

20 minutes moderate jog

SS
Hanging Knee Raise
20, 20
Incline Dumbbell Press
45x15 45x15

SS
Nautilus Single Leg Press
180x15 180x15
Nautilus Shoulder Press
90x10 90x10

SS
Freedom Trainer Single Arm Kick backs
65x10 65x10
Nautilus Crunch
80x12 80x12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:51 pm 
VIP

Wow! I just dropped by to check out the old log and I see not much has changed since I went away. I'm still battling the same old shtuff I was 6 months ago! The more things change the more they remain the same! :amen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
Wow! I just dropped by to check out the old log and I see not much has changed since I went away. I'm still battling the same old shtuff I was 6 months ago! The more things change the more they remain the same! :amen:

Aint it da truth? The only way to change things is to change things. Like that yoga I suggested. Stepping outside that comfy box can open up whole worlds of new ways to challenge yourself. Dude, if you ever come back out here I"ll bring you to class with me!

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:31 am 
VIP

I'm thinking about driving out sometime this summer for a couple days. Bring the family and hang out in Chicago land for a quick minute!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 am 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
I'm thinking about driving out sometime this summer for a couple days. Bring the family and hang out in Chicago land for a quick minute!

We would LOVE to have you!! Now that Lexi is gone the house is incredibly empty... two guest rooms, no waiting! :D Come out for a few and I'll set up some private time with my instructor. By the time you leave you'll know how to make me beg for my mommy at least 5 different ways, lol...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm 
VIP

BigMikey wrote:

We would LOVE to have you!! Now that Lexi is gone the house is incredibly empty... two guest rooms, no waiting! :D Come out for a few and I'll set up some private time with my instructor. By the time you leave you'll know how to make me beg for my mommy at least 5 different ways, lol...

Not sure how I missed this but it's a deal. We'll talk dates once the freaking snow gives way to summer.

I'm scheduled for an MRI on my herniated disc's next Monday. Chiro wants to see what's going on in there and it's been about 25 years so a new picture is probably long over due. I cringe at what the results will be in thinking about the squats, deads and other things I was doing up until a couple years ago.

I've been OFF for 10 days now and yesterday I started getting some pep back in my step, but today I'm dragging again. Chiro wants me back in the gym as soon as I feel good enough to go and I'm shooting for Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 pm 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:

Not sure how I missed this but it's a deal. We'll talk dates once the freaking snow gives way to summer.

I'm scheduled for an MRI on my herniated disc's next Monday. Chiro wants to see what's going on in there and it's been about 25 years so a new picture is probably long over due. I cringe at what the results will be in thinking about the squats, deads and other things I was doing up until a couple years ago.

I've been OFF for 10 days now and yesterday I started getting some pep back in my step, but today I'm dragging again. Chiro wants me back in the gym as soon as I feel good enough to go and I'm shooting for Saturday.

Well, in all honesty, I say no on Saturday. Seriously. You're anything but chomping at the bit to get there. Your energy levels still arent consistant. That tells me you have a ways to go yet. I think we were close with that initial month estimate. You're not even at two weeks yet. I truly think its going to be in your best interests in the long run to give it AT LEAST one more full week. You had a day of extra giddyup... after TEN DAYS of rest... that tells me you're still runnin on fumes my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:02 am 
VIP

You're probably right. Yesterday was not a great day energy wise and last night my back was screaming again. :fuming: :fuming:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:36 am 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
You're probably right. Yesterday was not a great day energy wise and last night my back was screaming again. :fuming: :fuming:

Yeah, its unfortunate but sometimes the downside to being dilligent with workout efforts is the place youre at now. As we get older it becomes more and more important to schedule rest - even active rest, as part of our overall approach. One method of doing that is using heavy weeks and light weeks. For every two heavy weeks of exercise have one week of light exercise. So in your case lets say you're doing one on, two off as a rule, you'd have 3 workouts in a week. During your "light week" you may simply want to go to the gym and do two or three exercises and call it quits. For example, perhaps you walk in on monday and do pushups, inverted rows on a smith bar (GREAT EXERCISE for BACK!), and sumo squats. Done. Out the door. come back three days later and do a seated hammer curl, lateral raise super set, some pushdown and some crunches. Done, out the door. Its enough to keep you from back sliding, but not so much that you run your batteries to empty.

The more I read about active rest the more I like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next