All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: My new regime
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:19 am 

OK, so I sat down and made a list of goals. I decided that I wanted to:
hit 20 pullups and single leg squats, and 100 pushups
get leaner so I can look good naked
achieve a turkish getup with 100 pounds
After some pontification, I came up with the idea of a routine that was restricted to just five exercises: the pullup, pushup, one legged squat, turkish getup and interval training.
Reckon it's worth a shot? The idea is to do this for 16 weeks, doing 1 minute 'work' and 2 minute 'recovery' in the intervals, two sets of max pullups 6 times per week, following the hundred pushups plan and doing Alwyn Cosgrove's exercises for the one legged squat (bulgarian squats, step ups, etc.), and finally straight sets of turkish getups 2 or 3 times a week.
I think it'd be wise to wait until the snow cleared up a little bit before I start this new program :D

Post subject: Re: My new regime
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:15 am 
Global Moderator

do it! sounds like a challenge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am 
Owner

I can't speak for the single leg squat but for pullups and pushups the sure fire way to get better at them is to do them, period.

Bottom line is it never hurts to experiment. It keeps you moving, keeps you thinking and keeps things interesting. There are so many varieties of pushup you can engage in that you could do a different variation each workout if you wanted to so that things stay fun. Also, have you thought about adding any chair-dips to your program? I used to love those!

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:51 am 

yeah, I did them as part of my warmup when I was on the crossfit. They're cool. I suppose I could add a few here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 am 

You know, I sat down last night and tried to work out why it was that I managed to stick to it for 4-5 months, and then all of a sudden things changed and I lost interest. I've isolated the following factors:
1. At the time, I printed off a load of WODs at once and took them away with me. It sounds wierd, but it led to better motivation because I knew what was coming
2. Not overreaching on lifts. Basically, I was living in a different place at the time and all I had were two dumbells. Then once I was reunited with my beloved barbell, I started trying to lift too much.
3. Recording. To begin with, I was coscientious about keeping a log and so on. Again, it sounds as if it wouldn't make a difference, but it really does.
So, having had a week or two's rest, I'm going to go back to doing what I did at the start :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 am 
Owner

Dave wrote:
You know, I sat down last night and tried to work out why it was that I managed to stick to it for 4-5 months, and then all of a sudden things changed and I lost interest. I've isolated the following factors:
1. At the time, I printed off a load of WODs at once and took them away with me. It sounds wierd, but it led to better motivation because I knew what was coming
2. Not overreaching on lifts. Basically, I was living in a different place at the time and all I had were two dumbells. Then once I was reunited with my beloved barbell, I started trying to lift too much.
3. Recording. To begin with, I was coscientious about keeping a log and so on. Again, it sounds as if it wouldn't make a difference, but it really does.
So, having had a week or two's rest, I'm going to go back to doing what I did at the start :)

Man, Dave, I spent a LOOOOONG time analyzing and experimenting trying to find that new something to really motivate me. At the end of the day I did just what you're doing - I went back to the beginning and did what worked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 am 

Cool. I'm starting tomorrow as it's getting dark and I spent most of the day cutting wood anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 am 
Owner

Dave wrote:
Cool. I'm starting tomorrow as it's getting dark and I spent most of the day cutting wood anyway...

Ok, well then starting tomorrow I expect to see a new log entry regarding what you did. Ima hold you to it too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 am 

posted as:
Using a single 60lb dumbbell for both thrusters and pull-ups, 3 rounds, 15-12-9 reps of:
Thrusters right arm
Thrusters left arm
"One-hand" pull-up right arm (left hand grabs the right wrist)
"One-hand" pull-up left arm (right hand grabs the left wrist)
Post time to comments.

Subbed to: 15, 12, 9 thrusters and pullups
Results: 15 thrusters, 12 pullups, 3 jumping pullups, 12 thrusters, 6 pullups, remainder jumping pullups, 9 thrusters, 1 pullup, 8 jumping pullups.

An unmitigated disaster. But it'll improve with time :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm 

I blame the cold weather. I started well and then didn't do a thing all week. I'm going to stay with a friend for a few days, so I might as well call the whole thing off until that's over.