All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Size or fitness?
Size 10% 10% [ 1 ]
Fitness 90% 90% [ 9 ]
Total votes : 10
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Starting from "Scratch"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:27 am 

Right folks, I've let myself go over the past year. Haven't been in the gym for 3 months, had a 10 week spell of training but was out for 9 months prior to that.
In June 2009 I tipped the scales at 252lbs, had a 52" chest, 18.5" arms, 18.5" neck and 34" waist. Never measured my legs but they were a hell of a lot bigger than they are just now.
Right now I'm 214lbs, waist is about 36" and don't really want to measure anything else!
I'm 6' tall, maybe 6'1", 38 years old.

I'm having work done in my kitchen right now so I'll probably start whatever I decide after Friday.
Here's the dillema;

Do I go for sheer size then cut down for the summer months of do I combine cardio with weights, add a little bit of size, get more toned as I go along and increase my general fitness as well. In the past, my main focus has always been size and I've done not too bad at it. When I was in the Army, the focus was on fitness & stamina at the expense of size. I enjoy lifting weights more than doing any cardio exercise. I also enjoy doing Muay Thai/MMA training (not fighting, only the training workouts for it) but it's difficult to do in the gyms near where I live. I'll keep natural throughout this, relying on good nutrition & supplementation - I'm very clued up on food and how the body works with regard to what goes in and what shouldn't!

I've decided to run a poll to see what the general concensus is although it's only me who can decide what I really want to do, I'm just interested in other people's thoughts on this and to get the motivation that goes with it. I'll keep as up to date a log as I possibly can during it to keep me focused and to bore you guys to death with!

Post subject: Re: Starting from "Scratch"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:38 pm 
Global Moderator

dude, you know what to do! eat right, lift and do maybe 30 mins cardio 3 times a week. you'll start looking like you used to in about 3 months!! git - r - done!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:07 pm 
Owner

I just realized he had 100% in favor of fitness... wow...

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 pm 
VIP

This thread is a little old but I'm curious as to what the outcome was or is? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 pm 
Owner

knight55387 wrote:
This thread is a little old but I'm curious as to what the outcome was or is? Anyone know?

I am as well. I know that Mark's been working a lot so I dont know how much training he's been doing. I should tell him to drag his arse back here!

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am 

I haven't started this yet, what a waster!

My life has been hectic this past year, I've not really been in the right frame of mind for training. My eating habits have gone to shit - when I have an appetite and I've lost all motivation.

I don't quite know how this happened to me, I used to be obsessed with training and eating healthy, nowadays I'm not really arsed. I do think about sitting down and working out a proper meal plan but never get round to it, I suppose I should really!

On the positive side though, I've started my second book :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:50 pm 
VIP

Scotsmark wrote:
I haven't started this yet, what a waster!

My life has been hectic this past year, I've not really been in the right frame of mind for training. My eating habits have gone to shit - when I have an appetite and I've lost all motivation.

I don't quite know how this happened to me, I used to be obsessed with training and eating healthy, nowadays I'm not really arsed. I do think about sitting down and working out a proper meal plan but never get round to it, I suppose I should really!

On the positive side though, I've started my second book :yay:

Well I can't wait to read it!

One of my biggest fears is reaching a point of burnout that forces me into the situation you have found yourself in. I think I'm close right now, and I know due to our "all or nothing" mentality I could be right where you're at in a very short period of time! Here's to your new beginning! :hi:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:21 am 

Knight, I realise now that I should have been taking regular breaks from training to keep me hungry for it. Something I always advocated to others, but never did myself, was to log everything.
I have spoken at lenght with my wife about my stagnant situation and have made the command decision that I am going back to the gym on Monday. The gym where I used to train has been bombarding me with emails about going back and offering me free 3 day passes and other offers so I'm going to take them up on it. I'll go in Monday - Thursday and do a series of light sessions with loads of stretching and some light cardio. I will put the brakes on as my usual is to go hell for leather and spend the rest of the week in agony and half crippled.
I'll get a proper eating and training plan worked out before I start and will stick to it as if my life depended on it, thinking of something splitting training like this
1 - chest & delts
2 - back & traps
3 - arms
4 - legs

Abs done after each session, then cardio in the form of x-trainer or bike for minimum of 10 mins to begin with.
I'm aiming for 14.30 - 15.00 in the gym, I'll eat carbs up to the meal after returning from the gym (post pwo shake) then it'll be fish & veg/salad.

I need to do this and need to do it now, I'm beginning to feel old and I vowed never to get old.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:01 am 
VIP

Scotsmark wrote:
Knight, I realise now that I should have been taking regular breaks from training to keep me hungry for it. Something I always advocated to others, but never did myself, was to log everything.
I have spoken at lenght with my wife about my stagnant situation and have made the command decision that I am going back to the gym on Monday. The gym where I used to train has been bombarding me with emails about going back and offering me free 3 day passes and other offers so I'm going to take them up on it. I'll go in Monday - Thursday and do a series of light sessions with loads of stretching and some light cardio. I will put the brakes on as my usual is to go hell for leather and spend the rest of the week in agony and half crippled.
I'll get a proper eating and training plan worked out before I start and will stick to it as if my life depended on it, thinking of something splitting training like this
1 - chest & delts
2 - back & traps
3 - arms
4 - legs

Abs done after each session, then cardio in the form of x-trainer or bike for minimum of 10 mins to begin with.
I'm aiming for 14.30 - 15.00 in the gym, I'll eat carbs up to the meal after returning from the gym (post pwo shake) then it'll be fish & veg/salad.

I need to do this and need to do it now, I'm beginning to feel old and I vowed never to get old.

Amen on the break... I have done the same thing.. Only bad thing is when I break it can't be very long or I get something else going and become less motivated

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm 
VIP

Scotsmark wrote:
"Knight, I realise now that I should have been taking regular breaks from training to keep me hungry for it" "I'm beginning to feel old and I vowed never to get old"

I completely get what you are saying! I'm on day 8 of a break right now and the way I feel at this very moment I'm not even close to ready to go back. I'm not going back until my body feels good.

As for vowing to never get old...I did as well. However I'm getting a serious education on the laws of nature and at the minute I'm giving up turf I thought I had claimed forever. :bang: