The Fitness Focus

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Where's the BEEF??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 pm 

Pico Burger -

Mix 4.5 oz extra lean ground beef with 1/2c pico de gallo, make into a patty. Cook on med-low heat in a small pan for 5 minutes, covered, then turn over and cook a few minutes more, add 1 slice ff sharp cheddar cheese, cook until cheese is melted.

I had it with a side of green beans with butter buds. The pico de gallo makes the burger moist,the whole meal was about 33g protein, low in carbs and relatively low in fat.

www.physicalfitnet.com/amy4training

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

Post subject: Re: Where's the BEEF??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm 

Laree's Fit and Lean Meatloaf - from Stella's Kitchen, a cookbook available online

Ingredients

1 lb 96% lean ground beef
1/4c onion, diced
1/2 large green pepper, diced (I left this out and doubled the onion)
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 c oat bran or oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8 oz reduced sodium tomato sauce
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients (but only half the tomato sauce) together in a medium-sized bowl. Spoon into an 8X8 baking pan or bread loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray (I doubled the recipe, lined the bottom of my broiler pan with foil and shaped the mixture into a loaf in the middle, then surrounded it with cut-up potatoes and baby carrots mixed with a little olive oil, thyme, rosemary and chopped shallots). Top the loaf with the other half of the toamto sauce and bake for approximately one hour. Makes four large slices.

Per slice
calories 172
Carbs 9g
Prtein 23.5g
fat 5g
fiber 1.78g

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 pm 

Update Shepherd's Pie

I got this from Kraft Food & Family - they have a section where they update and make recipes healthier.

1 1/4 pound red potatoes, cut into chunks
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1c lowfat cottage cheese
1/2c reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
4c frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
3/4c bef broth
1 tbsp ketchup

Cover poattoes and garlic with water in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain,return to saucepan. meanwhile place cottage cheese in blender/food processor and process until thick and smooth. Add to potatoes in sauce pan, mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenhiet. Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Stir in the flour, cook one minute. Add vegetables, broth and ketchup; continue cooking 5 minutes.

Spoon meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed poatoes and top with remaining 1/4 cheese. Bake 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

6 servings
Per serving
290 cal
7g fat (3.5 sat)
55mg chol
420 mg sodium
32g carbs
5g fiber
5g sugar
26g protein
80% daily vit A
25% daily vit C
20% daily calcium
20% daily iron

My whole family liked it and it makes good leftovers for meals the next day!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 pm 

Chef Gordon Ramsey's Ultimate Burger -

1 lb ground sirloin ( I used extra lean ground beef, you could also use lean ground turkey)
1 onion, minced (if you grate it it will make the burgers moister)
1 TBSP ketchup (I use low sugar)
1/4c chopped garlic
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp honey mustard

Mix all ingredients, form patties and grill or pan cook.

Yumm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm 

If you like the flavor in fresh spring rolls you will like this 'salad' I have had this made with beef and with chicken, both are good. The hostess of the party at which I tried the chicken version said her husband also makes it with seafood.

This version, which I found online, is not very spicy at all, so I am guessing it has been 'Americanized' because the authentic version I had at the party was spicier (and they said it wasn't full heat because the party had a lot of children eating.) They served hot chile sauce on the side to spice it up further.

At a Thai restuarant this is served with a mound of sticky rice and a clear soup. You take a scoop of the laab, a scoop of sticky rice and a spoonful of soup.

At my local Asian Grocery you can buy laab at the deli and it comes with lettuce leaves to wrap it in to eat it as a snack.

I am eating just the meat mixture, since my current plan is fairly low carb, and it is excellent on its own.

You can ask the butcher to grind chicken breasts for you if you want to make chicken, or you can finely chop the raw chicken yourself, which is tedious, lol.

LAAB NUEA (GROUND BEEF SALAD) (or chicken or seafood/shrimp)

Serving Size : 4

1 lb Ground beef or chicken, ground or finely minced
2 tb Fish sauce (nam pla)
6 Shallots, thinly sliced - chopped
3 1/4 inch slices galangal, minced
2 tb Ground roasted sticky rice** - ground (prik khee no pon)
1/4 c Lime juice
2 tb Scallion (spring onion),
2 tb Cilantro leaves, chopped
1 t Thai red chili pepper,
15 Mint leaves

Description: The blend of fresh herbs and lime juice makes this salad very refreshing. This laab recipe was taken to Bangkok by the people of the Northeast and is one of the favorite dishes of Thailand. Other meats such as chicken or pork can also be used.

Directions: Combine the ground beef with the lime juice, fish sauce, galangal and shallots. Heat a skillet and cook the ground beef mixture on medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the beef is cooked. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the chopped green onion and cilantro and the ground roasted rice. Mix thoroughly so that everything is well combined. Remove to a serving plate, spoon the ground pepper on the side of the plate if desired, and garnish with the mint leaves. Serve with an accompaniment of raw vegetables, such as long string beans or snake beans, sliced cabbage, green leaf lettuce/Chinese lettuce, basil leaves, and swamp cabbage or spinach.

I added the chili pepper, minced, and the cilantro and mint , chopped, all at once with the rice powder. I also only used one tbsp rice powder to reduce the carb content and it tastes just fine.

** TERMS

Roasted sticky rice: Prepared by adding raw sticky rice to a hot skillet and cooking until it is golden brown. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan at occasional intervals. Grind in a mortar with a pestle if ground roasted sticky rice is needed.** I found pre-ground roast rice powder at the asian grocery.

Galangal (kha): A relative of the ginger root, galangal is pale yellow and has a unique, delicate flavor. Fresh young ginger root, but not dried ginger, is an adequate substitute, but does not properly replace the unique flavor.
Fish sauce (nam pla): A salty, pale brown liquid used widely in Thai cooking, this is made from fermented small fish or shrimp. The fish are salted and fermented in jars and then the liquid is collected. It adds salt to many dishes and is essential for authentic Thai flavors--and is available from Asian food stores.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm 

Tank Girl wrote:
Chef Gordon Ramsey's Ultimate Burger -

1 lb ground sirloin ( I used extra lean ground beef, you could also use lean ground turkey)
1 onion, minced (if you grate it it will make the burgers moister)
1 TBSP ketchup (I use low sugar)
1/4c chopped garlic
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp honey mustard

Mix all ingredients, form patties and grill or pan cook.

Yumm

I love Ramsey. We ate at his restaurant, MAZE, in London a few months ago... And DAYYYYYUM!!!!!! He knows what he is doing.

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 am 

Beef bean and cabbage curry

Serves one.

4oz 93/7 lean ground beef 170 calories 8g fat 23g pro
1c shredded green cabbage 18 cal .2g fat 4g cho 1g pro
1.6g fiber
1/2c canned chickpeas 110 cal 1.5g fat 18g cho 6g pro
6g fiber
1/2c cooked rice 110 cal .5g fat 23g cho 3g pro .4 fiber

tsp curry powder (or to taste)

Preheat a nonstick pan, add beef, breaking it up with a spatula. After a few minutes, add the cabbage and curry powder, stir well. Afetr a minute, add the chickpeas and stir, then cover and cook about 5 minutes (until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Serve over rice.

Totals
Calories 408
fat 10.2g
CHO 45g, fiber 8g
protein 33g

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am 

Laree's Fit and Lean Meatloaf - from Stella's Kitchen, a cookbook available online

Ingredients

1 lb 96% lean ground beef
1/4c onion, diced
1/2 large green pepper, diced (I left this out and doubled the onion)
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 c oat bran or oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8 oz reduced sodium tomato sauce
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients (but only half the tomato sauce) together in a medium-sized bowl. Spoon into an 8X8 baking pan or bread loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray (I doubled the recipe, lined the bottom of my broiler pan with foil and shaped the mixture into a loaf in the middle, then surrounded it with cut-up potatoes and baby carrots mixed with a little olive oil, thyme, rosemary and chopped shallots). Top the loaf with the other half of the toamto sauce and bake for approximately one hour. Makes four large slices.

Per slice
calories 172
Carbs 9g
Prtein 23.5g
fat 5g
fiber 1.78g

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am 

Updated Shepherd's Pie

I got this from Kraft Food & Family - they have a section where they update and make recipes healthier.

1c lowfat cottage cheese
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
3/4c beef broth
1 tbsp ketchup

Cover potatoes and garlic with water in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain,return to saucepan. meanwhile place cottage cheese in blender/food processor and process until thick and smooth. Add to potatoes in sauce pan, mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenhiet. Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Stir in the flour, cook one minute. Add vegetables, broth and ketchup; continue cooking 5 minutes.

Spoon meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and top with remaining 1/4 cheese. Bake 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

6 servings
Per serving
290 cal
7g fat (3.5 sat)
55mg chol
420 mg sodium
32g carbs
5g fiber
5g sugar
26g protein
80% daily vit A
25% daily vit C
20% daily calcium
20% daily iron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:04 pm 
Global Moderator

Tank Girl wrote:
Update Shepherd's Pie

1c lowfat cottage cheese
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
3/4c bef broth
1 tbsp ketchup

Cover poattoes and garlic with water in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain,return to saucepan. meanwhile place cottage cheese in blender/food processor and process until thick and smooth. Add to potatoes in sauce pan, mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.

Spoon meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed poatoes and top with remaining 1/4 cheese. Bake 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

6 servings
Per serving
290 cal
7g fat (3.5 sat)
55mg chol
420 mg sodium
32g carbs
5g fiber
5g sugar
26g protein
80% daily vit A
25% daily vit C
20% daily calcium
20% daily iron

One of my favorite meals