The Fitness Focus

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Higher Testosterone Tied to Heart Trouble in Older Men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am 
Owner

**I thought I'd throw this in here since Testosterone is often used as a supplement... and cause I didnt know where else to put it**

SUNDAY, June 20 (HealthDay News) -- Among older men, having a high testosterone level is associated with a raised risk of heart disease or a heart attack, new research suggests.

The finding, from a new U.S. National Institutes of Health-funded study, concerns men over the age of 65 and is based on a tracking of hormone levels and heart disease among nearly 700 community-dwelling men.

Study author Dr. Kristen Sueoka, a resident physician at the University of California, San Francisco, is scheduled to present the finding Sunday at the Endocrine Society's Annual Meeting and Expo, held in San Diego.

"The study finding contradicts smaller studies that have shown that testosterone levels are not associated with higher rates of cardiovascular disease," Sueoka said in a news release from the Endocrine Society.

"Many in the general public are using testosterone supplements for various medical problems, including low sex drive and mood disorders, which are not life-threatening. These men may unknowingly be placing themselves at higher risk for cardiovascular disease," she added.

Whole Article: http://health.msn.com/health-topics/hea ... =100260418

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

Post subject: Re: Higher Testosterone Tied to Heart Trouble in Older Men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
VIP

thats crazy

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:51 pm 
VIP

Hmmmm
I can see the possibilities if linked to higher blood pressure or an enlarged heart.

When I had my physical this spring the doctor told me I am on the high side of normal for optimum weight for my frame and he stated this could become a heart issue down the road. He stated I should be about 175lbs to 180lbs and I’m a tad over 200lbs. I retorted that this had to be a crap stat because since my blood pressure, cholesterol and all other tests were excellent that proved I was in good shape and healthy. He calmly listened to me tell him my weight was lean mass, not fat and therefore his optimum weight statistics wouldn’t work for me. He waiting until I finished my speech and then pointed out the fact that my heart doesn’t know if it is supporting an extra 25 pounds of muscle or fat, all it knows is it’s working harder than what would be optimum.

He had me in a box.

Next time you see a really old man or woman take note of their body type. Almost ALWAYS you will find yourself looking at a very small framed lean person. How many huge guys have you met that were 75 or 80 years old, fat or strong, they rarely exist!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 am 
Global Moderator

Well I have heart trouble when I am on supplament per to say. My heart races a million miles an hr when my test count is elevated. It causes irractic beats and loss of breath. However it is nothing that had damaged me because I just had an EKG done on all my valves and heart and it is perfect. It was kind of funny because I volunteered for the procedure here at the hospital. Nurse is a cutie and couldnt resist taking my shirt off i front of her :) but she was in awe at how good the heart looked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:24 am 
VIP

Hm.. it's a correlation not a causation though. Skid marks are linked to accidents but that doesn't mean they cause them. I suspect it's more likely that high testosterone guys are more vulnerable to stress which is by far the biggest contributor to heart attacks than the testosterone itself.