The Fitness Focus

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Full speed training
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 pm 
Owner

It's been a little over a year since I started Hapkido. In class we tend to do a lot of half-speed drills but I find that only marginally helpful. I think to get a true level of expertise there has to be not only full-speed training but also real-world application training. But how do you make that happen without a training partner?

For those that dont know, Hapkido is about grappling as well as kicking/punching etc... For the most part here's an example of the type of training I do:

But this is where I think I should be before I can say I "know" my art:

Now granted that second video is of a Hapkido grand master but I think it takes that level of competency before one can claim to "know" an art. Maybe my expectations are too high but I can't seem to help it. So my question becomes how to facilitate that type of training?

I was contemplating constructing a sort of wing chun dummy on which I could fasten a judo gi so I could practice a slide block and grab or a grab to throw at speed. Any thoughts?

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album  

Post subject: Re: Full speed training
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:08 am 

I think there's a difference between "knowing" your art and being able to perform it. I could recite the technical points and principles of things like wing chun, for example, but I'm not very good at actually doing wing chun.

To be honest I think speed comes with relaxation and confidence, the holy trinity of Trainyerassoff. If you keep training hard it will no doubt come in time.

As for doing it on your own the best I could suggest is those grappling dummies that some judo classes and stuff use. Found one in a storage area when I hired a hall once, it was in with the mats and stuff, and that bad boy was HEAVY, if you can throw it easily you have good technique, but it's more aimed at hip throws and the like that joint manipulations.

Have you considered perhaps advertising on craigslist or a similar service for an experienced training partner to help you prepare for a grading or something along those lines? I'm not sure if that's feasible but if I couldn't make it to class or whatever I'd go for something like that probably. You could offer an exchange of knowledge or something, or offer some personal training in exchange for their time.

A cliche I'm always fond of is the old "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Someone told me this many years ago and I try to bear it in mind, especially in a.. I dunno if it's complex, but joint manipulation is specific.. art. Not sure what the right word would be. Maybe if you trained more slowly it would help you to move faster while keeping your balance, a la tai chi.

Post subject: Re: Full speed training
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:13 am 
Owner

TigerBao wrote:
A cliche I'm always fond of is the old "slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

I OFFICIALLY LOVE THIS!!! :good:

I have flying monkees and I'm NOT afraid to use them!

Be BOLD enough to imagine. Be BRAVE enough to believe.

Profile Visit website Personal Album